The upcoming Super Bowl will be held in Miami but the whole of South Florida is gearing for the big event and ready to party.
The three airports in the region give in coming travelers a line of options from beaches, clubs, social scenes, and restaurants from the mainland stretching to Florida Keys. South Florida is a great place to be in while waiting for the great passes, tackles, and touchdowns of the Super Bowl.
The host committee is expecting an influx of 70,000 ticket holders to watch the game and about 40,000 more people will come to join the parties and other activities. Many will come early to also watch the Pro Bowl that will also be in Miami on January 31. Here are some things you can busy yourself with in South Florida around the time of the Super Bowl.
The Super Bowl will not kick off until February 7 but you can expect all of the pre-game craziness a few days earlier. Here are some of them:
- February 3 – There will be a fishing tournament in honor of Marquis Cooper (Oakland Raiders), Corey Smith (NFL Free Agent), and William Bleakley (former South Florida player) who died in 2009 during a boat accident near the coast of Florida.
- February 4 to 6 – Billfish Bowl in Key Largo. This sailfish tournament will be hosted by Jimmy Johnson, a former NFL coach. The proceeds of the event will help retired football players with their medical expenses through the Gridiron Great organization.
- February 5 – The Super Bowl Gospel Celebration. This will be a a performance by the NFL Players Choir.
- February 6 – Free concert at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel with fireworks display. Scheduled to perform are Robert Randolph & the Family Band, O.A.R., and Barenaked Ladies.
- February 6 – There will be Taste of NFL but only VIP tickets are up for grabs. This will be a fund raiser to help hunger relief causes. Organizers invite one chef from every city with an NFL team to team up with an alumni player.
Of course, you don’t want to be any where else on February 7, 6 pm when Super Bowl kicks off!
Tailgaters are welcome at the LandShark Stadium. Fan parking might be a bit short because of the other activities being prepared for the big event. Morton’s Steakhouse will be serving platters of lamb chops, mini NY cheesecakes, fillet mignon, and some shrimp cocktails for those who do not want to cook. You can order the goodies and pick them up at their locations nearest you.
The International Beach Resort of Donald Trump will be sending in a chef to join in their Tail Great package.
See and Be Seen
South Florida is a perfect party place for football lovers and any one who loves the scene. The place is perfect to see people and be seen by the hot crowd. Try to get a table in one of the cool restaurants along Lincoln Road and see beach goers, dog walkers, and shoppers pass by. A lounge chair on the beach gives you the perfect view of Miami Beach best offering, people in their next to nothing beach wears.
If you are coming with your family, you can bring everyone to Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park. It is a perfect sunbathing spot on Key Biscayne which is an island just near the Miami downtown. The Coral Gables’ Venetian Pool is another great place to hang out.
You can hire a water taxi in Fort Lauderdale at the Intracoastal Waterway. There will be no traffic build up but instead you will see a line of luxury yachts and the mansions of the Florida elite.
Another good thing to see is the MiMo. MiMo stands for Miami Modern which represents the architecture style of the 1950’s to the 1960’s. This is a historic district along the MiMo Biscayne Boulevard.
Kids will enjoy Boomers! along Dania Beach where there are bumper boats, roller coasters, go carts, and other rides.
Nature at its Best
Visiting the Florida Everglades this time of the year will also guarantee one great experience. The Tiny Coopertown is where you can get the airboats which you can use to go through the swamps and sawgrass. They also serve frog legs and exhibit about a dozen live alligators in house.
You can ride a tram at the Shark Valley Visitors Center to go around a 15-mile loop in the national park.
The Seminole Tribe of Florida offers RV campground, motocross course, air boat tours, a traditional village experience, and casino at the Everglades.
If you feel like snorkeling or scuba diving, you can check out the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park just near Key Largo. They also have glass-bottom boats if you don’t feel like getting wet.
Enjoy the best of Florida’s produce when you visit the fruit stands and markets at the Redland area near Homestead.
Some Sporting Events before and after the Super Bowl
Here are some other sporting events to watch for:
February 5 – Calgary Flames test the Florida Panthers in Sunrise
February 7 – FTI Winter Equestrian Festival in Palm Beach; Kelly McGillis Classic Flag Football Championship
February 9 – the Miami Heats will face off the Houston Rockets
February 10 – University of Miami plays ball with Georgia Tech in Coral Gables
if not, come back tomorrow on journeyetc.com and see what's new :)